.:. Ken's Live Journal: I Can’t Help Myself

Friday, June 01, 2007

I Can’t Help Myself


I’ve said it. I believe it. But sometimes when it happens you are still left with your mouth hanging open. It’s not that you don’t expect God to be at work, it’s just that when He does it in unexpected ways at unexpected times it can catch you off guard. That’s why I can’t help myself and must tell you this story.

I had no ulterior motives, really. It was just suppose to be a somewhat selfish afternoon with our music teacher to have a cappuccino and practice my Spanish. When he came out to the van with the bilingual Bible we gave him, I knew something was up. Honestly I thought he was returning it. Maybe his strong Catholic background just wouldn’t let him keep it, or maybe he misunderstood and thought I had given it to him on loan. He clarified those assumptions almost immediately when he asked, “Is it okay if I bring along the Bible to the café so that we can talk about some things?”

After a long friendly discussion of about everything and nothing he asked, “Would you mind if everyone in your family selected a chapter and recorded for me in English?” I had to think about that one. Would we mind being the Spirit’s instrument by selecting five chapters to fuel His fire? “Yes we would be glad to do that.” From that point I open my Bible and we discussed, of all books, Lamentations. Then at his insistence we ended up the time with his tutoring me in a reading lesson. We had to read all of Colossians chapter 2 together.

Such times make you wonder what’s behind the next door. It makes you wonder how wide open He can throw open that door. It makes you wonder just what is possible with God. Maybe I shouldn’t wonder so much, but, I just can’t help myself.
The following pictures are from our end of the school year program:






3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I miss you guys. The end of another school year just doesn't seem possible yet, but as hard as you are all working, I'm sure it must feel nice. Lots of Love,
    Jodi

     
  • At Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:47:00 AM, Blogger Angie Velasquez Thornton said…

    Wow, the Lord does indeed often exceed our expectations, eh? He is awesome!

    Great to see your cool kids learning a cool instrument like the guitar - so much more practical on the mission field, especially in Latin America, than the violin or piano (no offense if that's been an instrument of prior use).

    The spread looks lovely. Those strawberries look like a lot of work! Yum!

     
  • At Monday, June 18, 2007 8:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so proud of you guys. Congrats doing well on so many details. Jesus is the source of our life. I will pray today.
    Sarah Yeckley

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com