.:. Ken's Live Journal: Old Guys Rule: Ramblings At 50

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Old Guys Rule: Ramblings At 50

I figured why not enter the fifties with a bang and throw a big memorable party. I mean every good story has memorable scenes doesn’t it? And we tend to love those the most with whom we have a story. Diana baked eight cakes and made gallons of tea and lemonade. The rain held off, the yard filled up, and we talked and laughed together into the night. It was an event that drew us into community.

Special friends came together to form a Birthday Band. It was a fantastic band that included three guitars, two mandolins, banjo, djembe and congas. They played some of my old favorites like Arise My Soul Arise, Sawmill and In Christ. Here’s the chorus for that one: In Christ I am adopted as a child of the Living God; In Christ I take refuge in the blood. In Christ Your Holy Spirit comes and makes His home in me; and sets my captive spirit free to the praise of Your glory.

I love cards that have good words, a nice texture and creative art. A lot came my way, some reflective and some funny. Like this one, “Don’t worry 50 is just a number…and the Titanic was just a boat, and World War II was just a misunderstanding, and Chernobyl was just a few leaky pipe…Just Kidding.” And “If you have a complete set of salad bowls and they all say Cool Whip on the side of them, you might be a redneck. Have a hootin’ and hollerin’ happy birthday.”

The biggest surprise of the day came in the way of a phone call. As most of you know I have been applying and interviewing for jobs over the last few months without success. It was a gift to receive a call that I got the job working as an advocate for the disabled to area businesses. I start on August 1st. Yahoo!

Late that night after everyone had left I Facebooked, “This has been one of the best days of my life.” Someone responded, “A friend told me years back...‘You are going to love middle age.’ She was right. I say the same to you.” I hope so. I really want to grow into each phase of life with a glimmer in my eye and a cheerfulness that’s infectious – living life robustly, fully, contentedly, abundantly.







3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com