.:. Ken's Live Journal: Market Café

Friday, November 07, 2008

Market Café


It’s Friday morning. After brewing four thermoses of coffee and restocking supplies, I’m off to the market. It’s been an on again off again proposition, but when someone like José or Karen asks, “When are you going to bring coffee?” it seems like as good a time as any to start over. You never know who you are going to meet or what response you’ll get, but reaching out to others with a free cup of coffee is just one more way to put a stone in someone’s shoe. Let me introduce you to some of my “customers”.

Daniel is my shoe repairman. He always asks for the verse of the day when I forget. His enthusiasm for his first cup of coffee was a spirit lifter for me, especially when he launched into a mini sermon on doing good for others. I look forward to continuing to connect with him.

Eugenio has a devotion and fervor for the Lord that is matched by few. Today when I brought coffee he lifted his eyes to the heavens and said, “Coffee for me? Thank you Lord, you knew I wanted a cup of coffee.” Later I returned to his shop of cleaning supplies where he drew me up a chair and we talked about Psalm 51, Romans 6:23 and Ephesians 2:8-9.

Tere has a shop that specializes in plants, incense and all other sorts of medicinal herbs. Over the months she and her daughter have become more open and friendly. Last week when I offered her a cup of coffee her face said, “Yes, I really want a cup of coffee,” but instead there was a moment’s hesitation and then a gracious refusal. Interestingly enough later in the day I gave her what I like to call “a coin of hope” with John 3:16 imprinted. The next week she asked if I had more coins and was bubbling with thanks.

I don’t know Luis, but see him around the market frequently. He looks to always be wearing the same filthy clothes, carries an overstuffed backpack, and has a hood pulled over his head regardless of the heat of the day. I feel leery of him and notice that when he’s around others cast apprehensive glances his way. The other day we came face to face as he chewed on his long matted hair. No backing down today, “Permit me to give you a cup of coffee in the name of Christ, it’s free.” A shake of the head told me I would have to wait for another day.

Alejandro and I have quite an interesting relationship. We are both still trying to figure each other out. I’ve given him a verse of the day for months and he often asks “What is the gospel for the day?” Today I served him and his helper coffee. Later when I returned to purchase vegetables, he was full of questions. “Why are you giving away free coffee? Did you do that in the United States? How much do you pay for rent? Do you like baseball? Which team do you like in the playoffs?”

Elias is the potato chip guy. He slices potatoes into a huge vat of oil and makes the best potato chips, especially when you add salsa, a dash of salt, and a twist of fresh lime. I served him up a cup of coffee and later passed his stand again. By then his wife had arrived and he said, “Is the coffee finished? I told my wife that my friend came by with coffee and she didn’t believe me.” It was a joy to serve her a cup of coffee at the Market Café.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com