.:. Ken's Live Journal: The Trivial & The True

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Trivial & The True


I refuse to let this journal become a running commentary on language learning. However I will say this, after having completed three weeks of language school I have discovered I need only overcome three small problems – pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar.

By the way how many people can you get in a small VW van? Answer:22 How do I know? I counted them.

Reality of the spiritual flourishes here in Mexico. It’s hard to turn around without being confronted by the Virgin of Guadalupe, rosaries, Jesus’ image, crosses or someone headed to mass. While some are devoted followers many are simply following the traditions of their fathers and the Mexican culture. On the missionary side of things we live only a few blocks from a Jehovah Witness church and attend class with two women whose husbands are leaders for the Mormon Church. Today on campus a group from Ananda Marga came to campus to give a concert and recruit. “The mission of Ananda Marga is to help individuals achieve complete self-realization and… contributes to the process of individual development by providing instruction in meditation and other yoga pracitices." As in many countries of the world Ephesians 6:12-17 comes clearly into focus.

Just to let you know the original idea for rope-holders came from William Carey. When Carey, the Father of Modern Missions, was leaving for India as a missionary, he told a group of interested friends, "Saving souls can be likened a to a man drowning in a deep well and a volunteer can do nothing unless there are people who will hold the rope for him to be lowered till he reaches the drowning man, and then pull them up to safety." Carey adds, " I will go to India as a volunteer to seek sinners drowning in the well of SIN. But I can't do it alone. I need rope holders. Will you be my rope-holders?"

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At Friday, June 23, 2006 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken, Diana & family-

    I am taken back to my time in India, and the extra toll it took on my senses just walking down the streets each day.

    I am praying for you, that the sights and sounds and smells and tastes you take in will draw you closer and closer to our Lord.

    Much love in Christ,

    Natalie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com