.:. Ken's Live Journal: Triangular Facets of the Christian Life

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Triangular Facets of the Christian Life

Innumerable times I have plunged into a book sale and sifted through mountainous piles of books then walked away having found a treasure. Now I’m coming around to the idea that instead of having found the book, the book found me. As I write I’m looking at a shelf that holds a book from the Tattered Bookstore in Denver, another from a discount store in Lancaster County, another at a Borders shop in Kansas City and yet another from Ollie’s here in our home town. Each is an unearthed treasure that uncannily proved to be just the theme or idea I needed at that time in my life.

Last weekend while the girls were at the Dare 2 Share Conference in Dayton, Diana and I went to a local mom and pop Italian eatery. The parking lot was packed so we decided to pass some time just down the road at Ollie’s. While we browsed I was found by Grounded in the Gospel. It’s a book that points out the triangular facets of the Christian life – the truth, the life, the way. Some see it as the commitments of the early church in Acts 2:42 – the apostle’s teaching, the breaking of bread and prayer, the fellowship. Another way of looking at it is a discipleship of the mind, heart and hands.

I needed the clarity it gave on these balanced facets of our faith. The three are equally important and when any one is neglected or wrongly emphasized then unhealthiness ensues. So what are these facets? First we have truth that has been revealed. These teachings comprise the doctrines we study, believe and proclaim about God. Second we have the abundant life we possess in Christ. Through the regenerating and transforming work of the Spirit, we enjoy intimate communion with God. Third we have the way we live with others. These are our actions within the context of personal relationships as we live in obedience to God.

I’m thinking to write more on the idea in the coming posts. Mostly because of something I recently learned about writing. Writing isn’t always to inform someone else. Sometimes it’s for the writer. It affords me an opportunity to explore and discover what I believe about something. It is a chance to put into words what’s swimming around in my head – learning by writing. I believe the triangular facets of the Christian life are worth my exploration.

1 Comments:

  • At Friday, March 16, 2012 1:07:00 PM, Anonymous in memory of scrappy coco said…

    ken,

    great photo of you 'in thought' or reflection or just enjoying the moment in the presence of the Holy...I am pretty sure I know that place where you sit and as i gazed upon it was transformed into another time and feelings of loss, richness of experience, friendship, and hardship all welled up inside...enough to bring the verge of tears. but I digress: looking forward to reading more about this triad... blessings my friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com