.:. Ken's Live Journal: Thanksgiving Gifts

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Gifts

It’s Thanksgiving Day…or at least it was when I commenced writing this. Turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, home-grown corn, and more awaits us just around the corner. Diana’s sister, our nephew and a recent arrival from San Francisco (talk about culture shock) will put their feet under our table for this feast.

In anticipation I’ve been reading in One Thousand Gifts. And continue to work on my own list. 106. Old towns with character 140. The roar of white water 165. Seeing our children curled up reading a good book 185. Heart to heart talks 202. Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving Day breakfast.

In the book Ann Voskamp engages us with this quote, “One act of thanksgiving, when things go wrong with us, is worth a thousand thanks when things are agreeable to our inclinations.” In this particular chapter she contemplates her dilemma and our dilemma of seeing gifts in the difficulties.

Yesterday I bumped into a close friend in Walgreens. We hugged. Then we talked. She is dealing with some health issues, so is her husband. Their daughter is overcoming some mighty big obstacles too. As we were saying our goodbyes, she asked if I had heard Laura Story’s song Blessings. I hadn’t. Now I have.

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?

And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops


I’ll finish up with this perspective from another of my favorite writers, “Honestly I think that I really do not begin to understand suffering, but perhaps seeing it from God’s perspective is the first step. I have learned in past months that He can be trusted. On the other hand it is beginning to dawn on me that the Holy Spirit must make truth alive in my heart. Just studying His Word, discerning where I am wrong, and mentally assenting is not enough. If I am to understand and live the truth, then it must be the Spirit that illumines and changes.”

Listen to "Blessings" by Laura Story


Simple Delights - These are some of the desserts Maria and Christina provided for the tasting on Saturday. Contact them for holiday orders.
 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com