.:. Ken's Live Journal: Prayerwalking Rekindled

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Prayerwalking Rekindled




I long for the days of walks at Little Beaver State Park. Those times were filled with solitude and intimate conversations with God. These days it’s really hard to find that same refuge in the midst of three million and a concrete jungle. Being at the beach recently rekindled my desire to walk, pray and connect with God in nature’s peaceful setting.

I think it’s interesting that some others who have faithfully gone before us have found the same.

Hudson Taylor – “Regarding a wandering mind in prayer; I have found more help in praying aloud, and praying while walking about – talking as to a present Lord – than any other way.”

D.E. Hoste – “He usually prayed aloud, but in a very low tone, and would pace up and down the room while he was in prayer…somehow he seemed to have more freedom in prayer while walking; that prayer seemed more free and unrestrained.”

J.O. Fraser – “A habit he formed early was to walk up and down, praying aloud, talking as a man talks to his friend.”

George Muller – “Muller also took to walking and praying – with his New Testament in his hand – when conditions were suitable.”

Francis Shaeffer – “I walked in the mountains when it was clear and when it was rainy. I walked backward and forward in the hayloft of the old chalet in which we lived. I walked, prayed and thought through what the Scriptures taught…”

So, where is your favorite spot to get away – the Appalachian Trial, Sea of Galilee’s shore, a local park or out your front door and down the road? Any quiet place will do to walk, pray and connect with the Creator of it all.

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken,

    I can relate to Hudson Taylor and the wandering mind... this is a big struggle for me and prayer, it makes prayer more frustrating than enjoyable. Walking and praying is something I haven't tried. I think I'll start today. Thanks for the encouragement - I'll let you know how it went.

    Jason

     
  • At Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:09:00 PM, Blogger Angie Velasquez Thornton said…

    Dan's and my best prayer walks lately have been in the middle of the night as we take turns walking Isabella to sleep. It's a joy both to care for our little treasure and to commune with the Lord. It may be our living room and not a fancy national park, but He meets us there! Awesome! :)

     
  • At Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:36:00 PM, Blogger S.D. Smith said…

    Good encouragement. Thanks.

     
  • At Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Janette said…

    Hi Ken and family. I can relate to the prayer walking and need for solitude. There is just something about feeling small, yet special in the vastness and beauty of God's big wonderful world. As I was thinking about this, I looked outside my window and saw pine trees with crosses in the tips of the branches! I remembered I had read something about this on the internet. Check this out!http://www.wandascountryhome.com/pinetrees/ Awesome!

     
  • At Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Jessi said…

    Thanks for the encouragement, Ken. I need some inspiration for prayer. Writing my prayers also helps me to concentrate and also gives me a record of what I've prayed for... and the answers to those prayers. Come on spring!

     
  • At Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:11:00 AM, Blogger gina said…

    for me right now, it's the wee hours of the morning, on my couch...feeding the baby. beautiful post, ken. thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com