.:. Ken's Live Journal: “See My Shells!”

Friday, February 13, 2009

“See My Shells!”


One of the early morning rituals we had in Veracruz was to go out looking for seashells. We spent a morning throwing starfish back into the Gulf, and another morning we found a sea turtle. There weren’t any amazing discoveries, but we did find some pretty cool sand dollars, driftwood and shells. I couldn’t help but be reminded of what John Piper said about seashells in his book, Don’t Waste Your Life.

“I will tell you what a tragedy is. I will show you how to waste your life. Consider this story from the February 1998 Reader's Digest: A couple took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise on their 30-foot trawler, play softball and collect shells. . . . Picture them before Christ at the great day of judgment: ‘Look, Lord. See my shells.’ That is a tragedy.
“God created us to live with a single passion: to joyfully display his supreme excellence in all the spheres of life. The wasted life is the life without this passion. God calls us to pray and think and dream and plan and work not to be made much of, but to make much of him in every part of our lives.”

What then does it mean for us to live with a single passion for God? Over time I’m becoming more and more convinced of what it is and what it is not. What it isn’t - it isn’t finally hitting the ministry jackpot. You know, where the big payoff comes, amazing things happen and everyone recognizes your value in it all. What it is - it is walking faithfully with God, enjoying Him in the moment and being content to be His instrument as He so chooses.

Easy enough said. Now to live this unwasted, non-seashelled life.

5 Comments:

  • At Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    That heart shaped thingy in the bottom right is really neat if it was naturally formed! I wonder what it is. I guess you've switched from rocks to shells huh Ken. =) Miss you guys and love you tons!

     
  • At Monday, February 16, 2009 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Jake said…

    Ken - Brother i am pretty sure you posted this for me... didn't you?

    I have been wrestling with my "fit" and place in ministry and how to best put my gifts/passions/etc to work FOR God... but am being convicted (with punctuation by your post!) that the faithful walking with God (or HIM with me) is of MORE value than anything I can DO!

    How quickly I neglect that and the funny thing is, I believe that I will find that place of confirmation in God's leading when I am in lock-step with Him.

    Anyway... thanks a TON today!

    See you in a few weeks!
    Hi to your family!

    Jake - Fargo, ND

     
  • At Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:22:00 AM, Blogger the tyson guy said…

    it is a joy to read and be challenged by your blogs friend.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Hi Ken and Diana,
    I never read a truer word! I loved the "ministry jackpot" part. The answer-"is walking faithfully with God, enjoying Him in the moment and being content to be His instrument as He so chooses." Very true Ken, thank you! Our prayers are with you!
    blessings

    Gary and Rachel Moore

     
  • At Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:41:00 AM, Blogger Angie Velasquez Thornton said…

    That's a great quote and a great book. I love Piper. Your post made me think of a friend of mine whose blog I think you would find amazingly encouraging and touching - the epitome of a life not wasted: http://www.graceandrew.blogspot.com/(have some kleenex on hand).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com