.:. Ken's Live Journal: Reaching Back, Catching Up

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reaching Back, Catching Up



Some things I write about never make it to the blog. They seem interesting or funny or insightful at the time but for one reason or another they get shoved to the side. Usually it’s because something more timely comes along. So I thought I would reach back and catch up just a little bit.

I’m not exactly sure what Diana and I were talking about, but I do remember Daniel’s comment, “You are still talking about that when I have an important question to ask.” To which I replied, “What important question do you want to ask, who was the 1977 starting quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons?” “Who was the quarterback, Dad?” “I don’t know. It seems as though he had a Polish name. It seems like his name was Steve. Steve…Steve…Steve - Steve Bartkowski! I’m going to look it up on the internet.” Can you believe it? - It was Steve Bartkowski. Now why is it I can remember the 1977 starting quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons but can’t remember the Spanish present subjunctive of venir?

We were waiting for the buzzer for two important reasons – our passports/visas were coming special delivery and the garbage truck was due. So, when someone buzzed I almost killed myself getting to the gate. Who should I find but the local Jehovah Witnesses? It took about two seconds for him to launch into the presentation. I moved in quickly to cut him off, “I’m a Christian.” He persisted. “I’m a missionary from the United States.” He persisted. “I’m going to pray. Father…..Jesus Christ is God……Amen.” He persisted. “I have some material for you. Wait here just a moment – just a moment.” As quickly as possible I returned with the New Testament and More Than a Carpenter, but he had already disappeared. I followed in hot pursuit books in hand, finally overtaking a different group and asking them to deliver the material. A few minutes later we passed him on our way into town. His words were enthusiastic, “Thank you!”

In light of the fact that we are up to 54 dead scorpions in and around the house (the final count was 140), a friend and fellow missionary suggested Ezekiel 2:6 as an appropriate verse for us. “And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house.”

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The other night, we were coming in the front door, and saw an Asian man that looked lost heading down the sidewalk. He seemed out of place, so we asked him if he needed help. He said he was heading to a missionary's home to visit a friend from out of town. At first we were excited at the thought of a missionary on our street...we asked him what church he was from...then our hearts sank when he said "Latter Day Saints..."

    The harsh reality is that there's someone doing missionary work on our street...and it isn't us...and they aren't sharing the truth. I've often wondered why God placed us where He did...we've decided to organize something for Christmas to extend neighborly love and the truth of Christ.

    Press on, fellow soldiers!

     
  • At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is it my imagination or are your daughters about to over take Diana in the heigth category!!! :-)

     
  • At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there is a Jehovah's witness who goes to the local starbucks here in beckley all the time. a couple ABC students meet with him every Wednesday, and have been for about a year, discussing theology, scripture, and the deity of Christ. His name is Aaron. thanks for the effort you put into your emails and updates!

    -Tyson Hodge

     
  • At Friday, November 02, 2007 9:21:00 PM, Blogger Debbie M said…

    Selective Memory... a medical condition isn't it? Ha ha... just kidding.

    Encouraging that the JW was receptive to the literature you gave him! Shows a better chance of him reading it. Glad you are persistant!

    You really ought to be winning some kind of prize for the great pictures!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com