.:. Ken's Live Journal: A Little Bit Funny

Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Little Bit Funny


I couldn’t help but laugh to myself. It all started when an elderly woman stopped by the shop. Her gray hair served only as a backdrop to accent the dark leathery look of her wrinkled face. She wore a crooked pair of old horn-rimmed sunglasses along with her blouse, vest, and skirt all in bold striking patterns – none of which matched. In her basket was the fruit she was asking the owner to buy. “No thank you”, was his reply, and then he asked if I might have something for her. In a moment I was back from the van with a bag of lentils and sopa.

They were on the sidewalk talking when I handed her the bags and said, “This is for your family in the name of Christ the Lord, the Savior.” The owner was quick to explain to her that I was a “Christian” while he was a “Catholic”. I wondered how she would take this turn of events and if she would be too offended to accept the food.

It only took a moment to discover that not only was she not going to be offended and she had a few words for the owner as well. They were along the lines of:

“How can you honor the image of the Virgin Mary? She was a virgin but she cannot give you salvation.”
“They are not your friends.” (Speaking of those who encourage him to parties and drinking)
“These sins are taking you to hell.”
“You can’t change little by little, it needs to be immediately.”
“You need to listen and learn from this man.” (Speaking of me)

It was a serious moment. Her intensity caused me to listen stone faced, but I couldn’t help but stifle a laugh inside. There was no way I was going to be so bold to say these things, yet here was this little elderly Mexican lady saying them. I learned something that day. The Lord is a consuming fire…and sometimes His ways are just a little bit funny.

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What an amazing story of how God gets His truth out. Congrats on the house- I know God will use it for His glory as he has every other home He's entrusted to you.

    Much love,
    Natalie

     
  • At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:05:00 PM, Blogger 4Given4Ever said…

    James 2
    1 My brethren, show no partiality as you hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2 For if a man with gold rings and in fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, "Have a seat here, please," while you say to the poor man, "Stand there," or, "Sit at my feet," 4 have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?


    Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

     
  • At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:19:00 PM, Blogger Angie Velasquez Thornton said…

    i love it how old people can get away with stuff like that in non-western cultures. isn't it great! i would've been struggling not to laugh, too, though! btw, we arrived safely in senegal and will be blogging about it shortly. woo, hoo! it's been an adventure already!

     
  • At Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    Wow, who would have thought. I'm so excited about your house and love the fact that I can picutre it. I know who the Goodlings are but can you tell me some more about this other family? I don't remember hearing about them before. An end house is such a blessing because of the extra yard room and more privacy. The Lord is so bountiful in His blessings. He could have just given you a three story home, which is rare enough, but He again blessed you above and beyond what you could ask or dream. I miss you guys and wish I could come and help with this transiiton too. Who knows =) Lots of Love, Jodi

     
  • At Monday, August 27, 2007 1:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Harer,

    Great story. I love it when God does for us what we cannot do. May you be given eyes to see many more such "coincidences".

    Greet our friend, Captain Val for us.

    all y'alls amigos,
    Don and Barbara

     
  • At Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Greetings from Newport, TN and Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. Glad to see you getting along so well. Keep up the good work. Love your stories. Love, from Luther and Barbara Taylor

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com