.:. Ken's Live Journal: Linda's Story

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Linda's Story


It has been one year since we completed our cultural training at CIT in Union Mills, North Carolina. While there we were privileged to rub elbows with many people who have answered the call to be an instrument in God’s hand in a foreign country. They became good friends and impacted our lives in many ways. One of those was Linda,
a fifty-something horse rancher from Wisconsin.

By her own admission Linda spent most of her adult life shunning God, but that all ended a few years ago when at the end of her rope she surrender her life to Him. Things begin to change for Linda as she spent hours at her kitchen table reading Scripture and pouring out her heart to the Lord. Two years ago on a warm October day (there isn’t many of those in Wisconsin) she found herself on the roof re-shingling her house. As she took a break soaking up the beauty of the day and looking over her ranch she heard in her heart a voice from heaven. “Linda, the second you die this will all be dust.” Stunned she heard herself answer, “Yeah, but Lord I want to show my horses, but I want to ride my four-wheeler in the mountains, but I want to enjoy my ranch, but I…” After she finished pouring out all of her “yeah, but’s” she was aware of that same still voice saying, “Linda, the second you die this will all be dust.” Realizing what this meant and thinking it would be years away, Linda agreed to give her life for the Lord to use in any way He wanted - but not just yet.

Over the next few weeks and months Linda felt an increasing desire to use her nursing skills for God in Africa but she didn’t know of anyone or of any organization in Africa. Searching for answers she found herself at her small town library looking for information. The time was spent in vain but the librarian promised to call if she turned up any leads. A few days later on her answering machine the librarian had left the number of a possibility. What could she do but give it a try. “Hello my name is Linda. I’m a nurse and I think God wants me to go to Africa.” “Oh really, who are you going with?” “Going with, I’m a fifty-something year old lady. No one wants to go with me.” “What I mean is what mission organization are you going with?” “What’s a mission organization?” “Ma’am, do you know who you have called?” “I don’t have a clue who I have called I just know that God wants me to serve Him in Africa.” “Ma’am you have reached the home office of Serving in Missions, an Africa based mission” (formerly the Sudan Interior Mission).

Where is Linda today? She is in that African country as a fifty-something learning two languages and using her nursing skills to bring Christ in a tribal situation. Here are the highlights from a recent letter. “I am here in…language school for 2 more weeks and then to the bush…I have 6 months provisions purchased and will be ‘out’ for that long at least…must pull teeth. Also must teach an English class. I am told they will be ok with me, but they are quite short tempered with each other and bring their AK47's and machetes to class…we will try to get to some even more remote villages by dug out log canoes…we have to try and stay as close to shore as possible cuz the crocks like to rub their backs on the bottom and tip us over, then we MUST get to shore very quickly or ?????...HE will keep us as HIS Word is perfect in all things. What a fabulous place to rest…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com