.:. Ken's Live Journal: Christ Coming Into View

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Christ Coming Into View


This summer was filled with snatching a few minutes here and there to prepare for teaching the book of James.  As always I learned far more in preparation than I was able to convey in the class.  For instance I learned that the half brother to Jesus used excellent Greek, spoke with authority and wrote with more poetic imagery then all Paul’s letters combined. 

The bigger lesson for me was one of vantage point. I discovered or better said rediscovered that the primary importance of study and teaching is to see Christ coming into view.  That’s what Paul was getting at when he said, “I deliberately kept it plain and simple: first Jesus and who he is; then Jesus and what he did—Jesus crucified.”  Of all the points that we can make and all the perspectives we can emphasis, this one is central.  As teachers we return again and again to the supremacy and sufficiency of Christ.  Our message is Christ.

To me it’s a natural bridge into my day in, day out life.  I want to know Jesus and the power of his resurrection in the details.  Not getting side tracked by blessings or success, worries or uncertainties, but seeing Him.

My friend Kim is one of the best at this that I know of.  He just keeps reducing the clutter, reducing the clutter until the preeminence of Christ shines through.  He reads about, dwells on, prays over, rejoices in and talks about the comprehensive message of the Gospel.  More than once he told me in effect that this is his one sermon for the church.

Christ is our life in the best of times and in the worst of times.  In the best of times we tend to think of it in terms of joy, vibrancy, fullness and aliveness.  In the worst of times these are not diminished, but undergo a metamorphosis into hope, rest, peace and assurance.  It is two sides of the same coin, both are abundant. Either way Christ comes into view giving us just what we need – HIMSELF. 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com