.:. Ken's Live Journal: Vulnerability: 11 Bulletin Board Points

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Vulnerability: 11 Bulletin Board Points

Lately, I’ve been entertaining the concept of vulnerability. But I don’t want to talk about it. ;o) Actually I do but don’t have enough cohesive thoughts to put in paragraph form so instead I offer these 11 bulletin board points:

* I’ll be the first to admit it isn’t easy to say, “I feel overwhelmed”, “I’ve been wrong” or “I’m hurting” without feeling like a failure or worrying about repercussions. It’s much easier to convince myself that, “Nothing’s wrong”, “I’ll be fine” or “I’m not bitter, just hurt.”
* As Christians we’ve somehow given the mistaken notion that we have to have it all together and to acknowledge otherwise makes us immature failures.
* Worrying about what others think and protecting our image is a death blow to vulnerability.
* When I wall myself in and others out, I run the risk of convincing myself everything is okay and short circuiting the Spirit’s work.
* Christians have struggles, weaknesses and sin issues like everyone else. Vulnerability admits it and allows us to take an honest look to see what’s going on beneath the surface.
* Transparency is like looking into a café window and seeing me sitting at a table. You can see me with clarity, make some observations, but we have no meaningful interaction. Vulnerability on the other hand is when you step inside the café, sit down beside me, and we share honest open conversation.
* Transparency says, “I’m struggling” but holds you at arm’s length. Vulnerability says, “I’m struggling” and invites input.
* Transparency is good. Vulnerability is better.
* My inheritance in the Gospel reveals my true character, my true self, my true identity.
*Seeing myself in honesty allows the Spirit to continually apply the implications of that Gospel to my interior life and transform me.
* It’s freeing to live life without having anything to prove.

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken, what makes vulnerablity difficult is having experiences where you opened up and were seen as weak or as a failure, etc. We Americans are not well wired for this and unfortunately being a Christian doesn't automatically correct our aversion to vulnerablity in our selves or others. Will be interested in seing yur conclusions.

     
  • At Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:41:00 PM, Anonymous Dawn said…

    Imagine what kind of lives we could lead if we would/could be truly vulnerable with others...how healing, freeing, joyful, authentic, rewarding, worshipful we could be! And victorious....for the enemy works in the darkness...but we are called children of LIGHT!
    I think you're on to something Ken; don't stop now. What a shame that fear holds us back b/c of past pains that have been caused from being vulnerable but rejected by those whom should have been "safe" and loving. Lord have mercy on us.

     
  • At Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:04:00 PM, Blogger gina said…

    "Transparency is good. Vulnerability is better." Hmmm...I'm often just happy to leave it at transparency and be done, but you're right. So much more beneficial to allow input from people who love you. What a great post.

     
  • At Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The issue with vulnerability is that it in order for it to be genuine and beneficial it requires a partnership. One,an opening up and two a stepping in. This requires the second to become a willing participant in the suffering of another.

    It is easy to be willing to share a momentary woe with someone, loss of job, car, or the death of an aging parent. These are the things of daily life, anticipated and manageable. Slightly harder, hurt, disappointment, bitterness, and personal weaknesses.

    But to be willing to partner in the suffering of individuals faced with lengthy and seemingly insurmountable suffering becomes intimidating. Their suffering awakens fears within us; the possibility that perhaps this could be us. A need for explanations arises that can't always be found. A lack of reasonable explanations leads to judgment,"This must be a result of sin or weakness." Ultimately a pulling away occurs because we can't bear to unite with so much pain because it makes us feel...vulnerable.

    We have an aversion to suffering and it is far easier to step away, say the occasional prayer, and move on with our lives than to continue sharing in the sufferings and struggles of others.

    With this limited level of connectedness how then can we ever feel safe to 'confess our sins to one another' without fear of isolation and un-Biblical judgment?

    Further still, this aversion to pain...to vulnerability...inhibits us from daily, willingly, partaking of the sufferings of Christ. It hinders our spiritual growth, limits our witness, and creates a separated body of believers which is disjointed and ineffective.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


© 2005 Last One Designs | Last Updated: 12/13/2005
Questions or Comments -- ken@kneelingwetriumph.com